Irving Langmuir derived an expression for the variation in the extent of an adsorption on a solid with pressure, which is based on the following assumptions:
1. Surface of solid contains a fixed number of adsorption site, only where gaseous molecules can bind (gets adsorbed).
2. Each site can hold only one molecule and the process involves a constant heat of adsorption. This is identical for all adsorption site.
3. The adsorption is mono-layer.
4. The gaseous molecules adsorbed different adsorption site do not interact.
5. The process of adsorption involves a dynamic equilibrium.
Thanks For Reading 🙂
Follow me in Twitter: @myopicsunny